Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Impressions

London is every bit as Jane Austen described....plus a few cars, buses and trains.


Everyone dresses so well here. I only saw jeans on Saturday and it was a rare siting even then.

Also, I need a new pea coat stat. Everywhere I turn someone is wearing the cutest pleated, bowed, buttoned pea coat that I've ever seen.

Everything here is BIGGER than I imagined. Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and the parks are all so grand and so beautiful. 

Asda (their Walmart) is weird. Their eggs are not refrigerated, their measurements are so confusing, and everywhere I turn there is a word that makes no sense to me. Also their cheddar cheese is white.


I walk into the stores and look like a deer in headlights (with a giant stroller), but I'm sure I"ll get the hang of things soon.

London is cold. Like wear a hat, scarf and winter jacket cold. Livvy refuses to wear all of the previously stated, so we have a tackling match every time we leave the house. So far we don't leave the house that often.

Their laundry system is a mess. Their washing machines are tiny and they usually don't have a dryer. Oh yeah, and they are in their kitchens. 

London is very Americanized in a lot of ways, but in a million tiny ways so different. Thankfully I have two years to figure out the quirks.

...

This first-time Londoner is glad that Jane Austen didn't lie. 

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love London! So fun! Thanks for sharing the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that finding something to be glad about isn't keeping you from updating your blog! Since I doubt I'll ever be in London, it's fun to get to see it through your eyes (which is probably pretty close to the same way I would've seen things, too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet you are going to love the sunny days there too, since they are not as prevalent as here. Thanks for sharing, I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to England twice. They were beautiful visits - loved all the sites, the people, the cultural differences, the amazing buildings and castles...but I remember at the end of my trips definitely feeling a longing for home and all that was familiar (and I was only there for a couple weeks, not a couple years). Hang in there! I'm *glad* you are trying to see the good in it, because being a proficient complainer myself I know I would be struggling too! And I love the blog. Writing seems to be my key to sanity, hopefully it's a nice escape and outlet for you too!

    ReplyDelete